This is my first granny square!
I will be making it larger and may decide to make an entire blanket out of granny squares!
I used an I hook and a medium weight wool blend.
In my MMQG (Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild) we had a challenge. The challenge was to use a bundle of fat quarters from the new Madrona Road by Michael Miller Fabrics collection. I decided to make a quilt for charity.
I made this small baby size quilt. I ran out of the challenge fabric so added in some blue dotted 30’s fabric. I did not use batting. I backed it with a soft Sherpa like fleece. I tied it to finish it and then used hand binding.
This is the first quilt that I free motion quilted. I had fun making it but it was challenging. It is far from perfect. I used the back for binding and folded it over toward the front. I did not miter the corners. I didn’t even trim the backing to square it up!
I just finished 3 squares for Knitters for Newtown. They are collecting squares to make blankets for the Sandy Hook community. Squares need to finish 8″ x 8.” You can read more about this project at the Yarnista blog http://www.yarnista.com/knitters-for-newtown.
To be honest, my squares did not finish exactly 8″ x 8″ :). So, I had to block them. This was the first time I had ever blocked anything that I knitted. It was actually really easy! This is what you need and one way to block. It may not be the perfect way to block something but it worked for me. (Ideally you should weave in your ends before blocking.)
- rust-proof pins
- spray bottle with water
- soft surface
- Place square on a towel on a soft surface (I used my bed).
- Fill a spray bottle with water. Lightly spray the square.
- Use your ruler to mark the desired finished size, and place pins around square as needed.
- Let dry.
If you want more information on how to block, you can read about it here at The Purl Bee blog http://www.purlbee.com/blocking-tutorial.
Please join me in making more squares for this worthy cause.
I wanted to try knitting another chunky style scarf. Here is the result.
I used a bulky weight yarn from Berroco http://www.berroco.com in a heather navy blue – color 61182. The yarn is their “Vintage Chunky.” It’s a washable wool blend: 50% acrylic, 40% wool, 10% nylon. I ended up using two skeins. It was nice knitting with it; the yarn had just enough stretch and felt good in my hands.
I chose size 10.5 bamboo needles from Clover, and used a garter stitch. I didn’t use a pattern so I had to estimate how many stitches to cast on. I cast on 30 stitches. The scarf ended up to finish at 8 inches x 45 inches.
Here is another view.
This scarf was fun and easy to make. I’ll definitely be knitting another one like this again.
I’ve been wanting to do something for the Newtown, CT tragedy. Now I’ve just found how I can help in a truly meaningful way.
Knitters for Newtown is knitting blankets. You can check out what they’re doing here on their blog http://www.knittersfornewtown.com/.
I just ran out of Christmas Cards and there’s only one more week until Christmas! Luckily, I still have some blank card stock, so I made my own cards. I love to make cards–they’re fun to create, easy and quick!
To make these, I cut out paper pattern pieces in the shape of trees and trunks. Then I took some fabric scraps and pressed them with an iron. I placed the pattern pieces on the fabric, traced around them with a pencil, then used my rotary cutter and mat to cut out the shapes.
Once the shapes were cut, I determined which tree tops to put with which trunks. Then, I took glue stick and glued the fabric to the cards. That’s it! With a little time and effort, you can easily make cards like this too.
Here’s a close up of the blue tree:
I made this pink cuddly teddy bear with some scraps from my stash. The pattern was the easiest ever! It’s from Carol’s Zoo http://bit.ly/UjsDnh and it only has two pattern pieces! Amazing! Her patterns are known for being easy and for only having 2 pattern pieces! This pattern is her “Bear” http://bit.ly/Ujqic1.
For the body, I used Cuddle Dimple from Shannon Fabrics in Fuchsia http://bit.ly/UjspMX. For the nose, I used a scrap of Cuddle 3 Chocolate from Shannon http://bit.ly/UjsPTI. I used buttons for the eyes and simply sewed them on with regular polyester thread.
Soft and cuddly- I’ll for sure be making this again!
I finished Hannah’s new hat – just in time for winter here!
I love the colors and the way the variegated shading turned out.
I made this using my favorite hat pattern from Knitting Pure & Simple: Basic Hat & Mitten Set for Women pattern 223. The pattern calls for size 6 needles, but I used size 7. I used a 16 inch circular needle from Skacel (Addi Turbo Lace) US size 7) and bamboo double point needles DPNs from KA US size 7, 6 inch. For yarn, I used Plymouth Yarn’s Galway Paint, 100% pure worsted weight wool. Now, I need to learn how to knit the matching mittens from the pattern!